Apply now for Blind Date 2021
Applications now closed. Thank you for your interest.
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival (Toronto, Canada) and Entreviñetas Festival (Bogotá and Medellín, Colombia), in alliance with the Ministry of Culture of Colombia, are proud to be mounting a third and final year of the Blind Date project (Cita a ciegas) in 2020.
In 2018, TCAF and the Ministry of Culture of Colombia launched the Blind Date project (Cita a ciegas), which aimed to connect two comic artists from each country to collaborate digitally. Two comic artists — Anna Kwan from Toronto, Canada, and Mariana Gil Ríos from Medellín, Colombia — worked together to create a shared digital graphic work over the course of the Fall, using the internet to develop the piece from their respective countries. You can see the result of their project here: https://www.blindpostcards.date/. In 2019, Karen Shangguan and Laura Cañas collaborated on the second iteration of the project, and their collaborative comic A First Meeting was featured in the TCAF 2020 Exhibitor Showcase, available on gumroad,
We are delighted to host a third year of this initiative in 2019, and we are inviting Canadian artists to submit their interest in being considered. The selected Canadian artist will receive $1000 to support the creation of this work. The selected Colombian artist will receive 5 million Colombian pesos.
The Canadian artist and Colombian artist will jointly develop a comic art project around the theme of “conversation” with the expectation that they:
- Deliver a total of 8-10 pages of comic, or the webcomic equivalent, to be hosted online and formatted for digital audiences
- Meet digitally at least once every two weeks (for example through Skype, video calling, screenshare, etc.) with ongoing correspondence between meetings
- Create some official documentation of the artistic process that can be publicly shared
- Complete and submit the final project by January 30, 2021
If you are interested in participating, please submit your application to this email or to email@example.com by December 20, 2020 at 11:59pm. We recognize the short turn around for this deadline, so we are making the application process as straightforward as possible. Please send the following three parts to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Blind Date 2020 Application”
- A selected artist’s CV or bio (no longer than 2pgs) with relevant experience
- Digital portfolio of 5-7 works/images of comic art
- A short statement of interest (max. 400 words) OR a 15 minute phone interview (let us know if you’d like to take this option and we can schedule it)
Canadian creators interested in participating in the project do not have to be exhibitors at TCAF to apply.