The Toronto Comic Arts Festival is looking for a Volunteer Coordinator!
The Toronto Comic Arts Festival is looking for an enthusiastic individual to help recruit and coordinate a team of approximately 250+ volunteers. The Festival attracts 25,000 attendees per year across multiple downtown Toronto venues in early May. The Assistant Volunteer Coordinator will work with the Volunteer Coordinators to help provide support for some of the best volunteers in the industry! (It’s true! We get compliments on our volunteers all the time!).
- recruit and deploy a team of approximately 250+ volunteers in order to staff the Toronto Comic Arts Festival across multiple dates and venues
- manage the online sign-up process, and field questions from prospective volunteers
- create a detailed, flexible volunteer schedule based on the needs of the Festival and the availabilities and attributes of the volunteers
- give meaningful direction to a diverse team of volunteers in a fast-paced setting
- through successful deployment/direction of the volunteers, create a positive TCAF experience for attendees, exhibitors and guests
- October through December: 5 hours per month
- January through March: an average of about 3 hour/week (meetings, answering volunteer emails)
- late March through April: meetings, correspondence, and planning increase in frequency: about 5 hours/week, including some weekends
- first week of May: about 15-20 hours of work
- TCAF weekend (Friday-Sunday): on-site at TCAF, before open until after close
- communicate effectively both orally and via email
- be able to speak confidently to groups and manage crowds
- create a positive environment based on inclusion and respect for diversity and difference
- transmit enthusiasm for the Festival and for comics as a medium
- HR experience and/or experience managing a large team of people
- experience with TCAF, either as an attendee or a volunteer is an asset
- English + another language is an asset
- familiarity with comics would be ideal!
Do you think you’d be a great fit for this position? Please complete this application, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to TCAF Managing Director Miles Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.