Every year, the Toronto Comic Arts Festival showcases Canada’s incredible comics talent on a world stage. We do this by inviting publishers and exhibitors from all over the world to share what comics mean to them, and to stand side-by-side with some of the best and brightest that Canada has to offer! Let us introduce you to some of our International Featured Guests, who are from just a few of the over 20 countries that will be represented at TCAF 2017:
Sana Takeda (Japan) is the artist on the wildly popular fantasy series Monstress from Image Comics. She will be joined at TCAF 2017 by her collaborator on the book, Marjorie Liu (USA). Sana is also a TCAF 2017 Poster Artist!
In partnership with the Comic-Salon Erlangen and the Goethe-Institut Toronto, we are very excited to welcome three wonderful cartoonists:
- Ulli Lust (AUT) is returning to TCAF for the first time since 2013! She is the award-winning creator of Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life, as well as the Fall 2017 book from NYRC, Voices in the Dark.
- Anna Haifisch (GER) is best known as the creator of The Artist. The strip is often featured on Vice.com, and has been published by Breakdown Press.
- Martina Schradi (GER) is an author, cartoonist and certified psychologist from Nuremberg. She is known for Oh, I see?!, a collection of comics depicting the daily lives and struggles of people in the LGBT*I community.
As part of the Comic-Salon Erlangen pavilion of German comics, we’ll also have returning Friend of the Festival: Rotopolpress! Repping Rotopol will be artist and publisher Rita Fürstenau and cartoonist Carmen José. So fun!
Paolo Bacilieri (ITA) is coming with SelfMadeHero for the English-language debut of FUN, a graphic novel all about crosswords! Paolo is attending TCAF 2017 with the support of the Istituto Di Cultura – Toronto, who will be hosting a gallery exhibition of his art.
Also joining SelfMadeHero will be Aimée de Jongh (NLD), artist of The Return of the Honey Buzzard, and Toronto’s own Chris W. Kim (CAN) with Herman by Trade.
Coming with Conundrum International (the international line of books from Conundrum Press) are two fantastic artists:
- Michael Nybrandt (DEN) is attending TCAF to support the English-language debut of Dreams in Thin Air. This book tells the story of the formation of the Tibetan National Soccer Team, with a preface by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- Igor Hofbauer (HRV) is a Croatian illustrator and comics author. He is attending TCAF to support the English-language edition of Mister Morgen. Igor is known more recently in Canada for doing the album artwork for the Juno-nominated album Afraid of Heights from Canadian rock band Billy Talent.
Also returning to TCAF are Jason and Joe Decie:
- Jason (NOR) is returning to TCAF for the debut of On the Camino from Fantagraphics Books. This new graphic novel is Jason’s memoir of his trek of the Camino de Santiago — 32 days and 500 miles from St. Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre.
- Joe Decie (GBR) has been nominated for Best Comic at the British Comic Awards for his books The Accidental Salad and The Listening Agent. He is attending TCAF 2017 in support of his latest and largest book, Collecting Sticks from Johnathan Cape.
For more information on these and all Featured Guests at TCAF, check out the Featured Guests tab in our Creators section [Link].